Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] Version 3 of Boost.Filesystem added to trunk
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-05 09:19:48

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 07:06:01 -0400, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Sylvain Pointeau
>> <sylvain.pointeau_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Would it be possible to have some constructors (or static functions) to
>>> create a path from an UTF-8 or UTF-16 string?
>> Now it would also be possible to provide a constructor, etc, that
>> takes a locale, but is that worth cluttering the interface? I went
>> back and forth, on that, but the use cases I could think of were not
>> very compelling.
>
> For my puroses it would be nice to be able to set a per-path locale rather
> than a global one.

My *strong* objection to a per-path locale is that it adds additional
state, which increase size and complicates reasoning.

The most likely change would be to add an overload with a locale
argument to one or more functions. I'm giving that serious thought.

>  This way, my SFTP paths, which are only ever displayed
> to the user, can be held in paths that deal in UTF-8/UTF-16 without forcing
> that upon other use of class path.  These other uses can, for example,
> continue to use local-codepage/UTF-16 making them suitable for passing to
> Windows API functions.

I'm concerned enough about your use case to want to firm up a possible
interface. I'll post something when I've had a chance to work on it a
bit more.

--Beman