Subject: Re: [boost] Review of a safer memory management approach for
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-07 02:04:40

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Bartlett, Roscoe A <rabartl_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Is the C++ boost community really ready to throw away OO programming?  That just seems crazy to me.

The other day, when pointing out some design problems, someone asked
me if I was "just anti-OO". I hadn't thought about it before they
asked, but I guess often my answer is yes.

In 20+ years of coding, only rarely did OO actually work out as
'advertised'. Actually, I should specifically say polymorphism (since
I find other OO things like encapsulation useful quite often).
Runtime polymorphism is great in those few cases where that is what
the problem actually asks for, but it turns out to not actually happen
as often as it seems people expected it to happen.

Tony