Subject: Re: [boost] Review of a safer memory management approach for C++
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-07 18:36:59

Bartlett, Roscoe A wrote:
> Come one, at least some people on this mail list must have
> had similar nightmare experiences in trying to track down
> and diagnose hard memory misuse errors in C++ that took days
> of effort to resolve (even with the help of tools like valgrind
> and purify).

Since you ask, no. I honestly don't remember when I last had a memory
leak or similar error in C++ code. Not for years.

C++ does have some other hazards, such as iterator invalidation rules
and thread safety and abuse of reinterpret_cast, that I sometimes
stumble with. But I think that the current tools for managing pointers
are very effective and sufficient.

Based on a few random recent conversations, I have a feeling that many
of the people who used to write C++ code that suffered from memory
leaks may now be coding in C# instead.

Regards, Phil.