Subject: Re: [boost] [endian] endian flip and endian domain
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-08 10:39:27

<Replying to the entire naming thread, not one message in particular>

convert seems like the best word. To me.

In all other cases (swap, flip, invert, reorder,...) I would expect
something to *always* happen. Whereas with 'convert' I wouldn't be
surprised when the operation is a no-op.

ie a swap/flip/invert/etc that *sometimes* doesn't actually need to
swap/flip/invert seems wrong to me.

convert just says do whatever is needed. That may be swap or some
more complicated reordering, or nothing.

So I mentioned 'reorder' there. The mathematician in me will admit
that the non-reorder is still a reordering, but between 'reorder' and
'convert' I still expect reorder to do something more specific than
convert. convert can do nothing, in my mind.

Feel free to discuss convert_to/from/in_place/etc...

Tony