Subject: Re: [boost] multimap alternatives. Was: Re: : Review of a safer memory management approach for C++
From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-10 06:19:24

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Belcourt, Kenneth <kbelco_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Thorsten Ottosen <nesotto_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Am I right?
>>>
>>> OTOH, iteration is slightly more complicated. I guess this is
>>> a good example of where segmented iterators could be useful.
>>> ?
>>
>> Sorry the ignorance, but what would be segmented iterators?
>
> http://lafstern.org/matt/segmented.pdf

Wow! This fits so well with what I needed!
I have a recursive concept where models usually are just
representation of a XML.
And I needed a way to have algorithms that worked depth-first with
input_iterators, for parsing as we work it, and other where
segmentation would make more sense, e.g. DOM.
Now I can say that it is a flattened sequence with a non-segmented
iterator that works depth-first, or I can have a segmented iterator
that works depth-first but that also doesn't hide the segmentation
property of the structure, so that I can write specialized algorithms
for it.

> -- Noel

Thanks!

--