Subject: Re: [boost] [msm] Message queue and copy constructed events
From: Richard Szabo (sz.richard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-15 11:00:37

Hi Christophe

I have that request as well to use the MSM without heap actually I
have managed to compile MSM in an embedded target without stdlib,
rtti, exception and no heap but only if queues are disabled.

Second the memory allocation for the events in our application is very
important.
We have to make sure that events are allocated next to each other in a
specific memory area. For data cash hit rate and because DMA transfers
from/to peripherals in the processor bus.

Therefore we use our own memory management for events via factory. The
real time scheduler implements reference counting of events when ever
an RTC step is triggered we increment the reference count of the event
and if an object stores an event in the system it uses a queue from
the RT scheduler where the insert of the queue will increment the
reference count and removal from the queue is decrementing the
reference count. we have different consecutive memories for different
event types grouped carefully to task and to task priority and size.

In our system we never copy events and for us the best would be if you
could just able to provide us a backend to use our own event queue
implementation where we make sure that we use a queue form the RT
scheduler where no copy operation is required.

We implementing OSI L2/L3 layer protocol stack where we have to deal
with 100Kbit of data in every 1ms in worst case where we have 10 ~ 20
state machines interacting with each in each 1ms. Because of this we
simply can not allow copy of the data.

We can come up with some container type which can be used to pass
around instead of the event and implement copy constructor as you
suggest but it brings overhead compare to using non copying queues
which are user defined.

thanks
Richie