Subject: Re: [boost] [nowide] Request for interest (nowide unicode support for windows)
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-15 14:57:34

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:59:21 -0400, Beman Dawes wrote:
>

> >> Can I write:
> >>
> >>  boost::filesystem::fstream f("ùìåí.txt",std::ios_base::out);
> >>
> >> When "ùìåí.txt" is UTF-8 string and Unicode file name will be created?
> >> If so, way to go.
> >>

> > In v3, yes.
>
> There are some caveats, but it should work, and there are some fairly
> similar test cases passing all compilers.

This is not what I'd understood from our previous discussion. I was under
the impression filesystem v3 running on Windows would take this narrow path
string and convert it to UTF-16 using the *local code page*. This means
the example above would only work if the computer in question were set to
Hebrew. Even that might not work - I'm not sure if the Hebrew code page
contains the necessary characters to represent 'txt'.

Did I misunderstand?

Alex

--
Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)