Subject: Re: [boost] [interprocess] (Win32) shared memory totally doesn't work :(
From: David M. Cotter (me_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-15 21:23:40

>> has nobody run into this issue? does anyone have any hint for me?
>> i'm afraid to deploy release software with the "fix" below, i don't
>> really know what the implications might be.
>
> Interprocess is using an undocumented kernel structure to get the boot time, but I don't see how you consider it's boot plus system time (is this somewhere documented?). It's been reported that changing system time changes this boot time or that hibernation breaks this, but I've never noticed what you are reporting. I'm experimenting now with a (in theory) more robust WMI system call to get the boot time, but still far from a working solution.

okay ignore the part about my assumption that it had anything to do with system time, sorry about that misinformation.

the problem is, i can call the function two times in a row and get two different numbers.

note i'm using Parallels desktop (on my mac), and the GuestOS is Windows 7 64bit, but the fact that i'm running in a VM should certainly NOT affect something as fundamental as shared memory.

i think you must be onto something, regarding the API used to get the boot time.