Subject: Re: [boost] [RFC] string inserter/extractor "q u o t i n g"
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-18 13:10:41

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> To speed the process, I'll just give a progress report rather than
>> respond individually prior messages.
>
> Apparently, by virtue of not mentioning my suggestion in this omnibus reply, you rejected my idea of a string algorithm for doing the quoting and unquoting which forms the foundation of the insertion and extraction manipulators.  I still think that is the best approach as it doesn't force the use of std::stringstream to get a quoted or unquoted string from an existing string while still supporting the IOStream insertion and extraction needed by Filesystem.

In principle, I agree with you. In practice, I don't really want to
take the time to develop the algorithms, tests, documentation, etc.
Perhaps someone else could take that on.

>> * I like quote and unquote as the names. Source changed.
>
> Given the name change, my suggestion is for "quoted" as the manipulator -- for both insertion and extraction -- and "quote" and "unquote" for the algorithms.

I've already changed the manipulator name to "quoted". See
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/filesystem3/boost/io/quoted_manip.hpp

>> * Since these functions are I/O manipulators, and only work in that
>> context, I've renamed the header "quote_manip.hpp".
>>
>> * Likewise, the library that makes the most sense to add the header
>> too is io. So the include path will be <boost/io/quote_manip.hpp>. IO
>> is a small library, and targets exactly the same area of the standard
>> library.
>
> That's reasonable for the manipulators, but the algorithms on which they'd be based, given my suggestion, should be in StringAlgos.

Agreed.

--Beman