Subject: [boost] [GIL] integration between boost libraries (gil / multiarray)
From: fabien.castan_at_[hidden]
Date: 2010-06-21 11:40:31

Hi,

I'm a big fan of gil. It's one of the best library I know. It has really improved my work, which consists of writing image processing algorithms. Thanks to the authors.

I have only one criticism: the integration with other boost libraries and firstly with multiarray.
Because manipulating an image consists of manipulating an array of pixels. Many gil's operations are not present in multiarray:
flip_view, subsampled_view, subimage_view, n_channel_view, x_iterator, y_iterator, xy_locator, cache_locator, plannar or interleaved arrays, virtual views, static_for_each, ...

For example, inside an algorithm I need to maintain a data structure for each pixel. So I would like to create an array of MyCustomStruct. I can use gil to do that but I need to have a notion of colorspace and operators between pixels, which have no sense in this particular case. But subsampled_view, cache_locator, etc. have a sense.

Another less important thing, I find unfortunate that a structure like "point" is inside gil. Many operators are not defined. Some parts of my code are becoming dependant to gil just for a "point" class, or I need to work with one structure and make a conversion... Is there really nothing in boost for such thing ? Maybe just a typedef on a bounded_vector<2> could be sufficient ?

Best regards,
Fabien