Subject: Re: [boost] [msm] Message queue and copy constructed events
From: Richard Szabo (sz.richard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-22 08:12:09

On 22 June 2010 11:47, Christophe Henry
<christophe.j.henry_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [...]
>>the process_event should be valid. This means that events will be
>>valid even with queuing for queues which are used during pseudo entry
>>and exit because the processing of those events are always finished
>>before the more outer process_event is returned.
>  >The only place where this is not true ->when the event should be
>>available longer than the RTC step is when the event is deferred.
>>So I think it would be enough for non deferred queues to internally
>>before the bind  store the event in a ref/cref and bind that and put
>>to the queue -> no copy.
>
> This is incorrect. You can have the same behaviour with the event
> queue. Consider test/SimpleWithFunctors.cpp:
> You have a transition:
> Row < Empty   , cd_detected , Stopped , store_cd_info , ...  >
>
> And in the action, we generate another event:
>
> struct store_cd_info
> {
>      template <class EVT,class FSM,class SourceState,class TargetState>
>      void operator()(EVT const&,FSM& fsm ,SourceState& ,TargetState& )
>       {
>             fsm.process_event(play()); // temporary play will be
> queued, then the function returns
>             // ooops, temporary is gone
>       }
>      /// end of action, transition now ends and will start examining
> the queue and will find inside a reference to a destroyed event
> };
>
> Now, if msm was using ref/cref, we would be processing a destroyed
> event, which would not end well ;-)
>
> Unfortunately, it is not possible for process_event to know if the
> event object is a temporary, therefore the copy. The only way to
> change this would be to have the user tell msm about it and take
> responsibility for ensuring event validity. We could:
> - have an extra parameter to process_event (run-time cost for all users)
> - allow some compile-time flag (compile-time cost for all users)
>
> None is very appealing to me as I doubt many will require this,
> especially as I fail to see why you could not pimpl the event data,
> thus making the event cheap to copy. But everybody would have to pay
> for it somehow. And the heap issue would still be unsolved.
> This would likely also end at the very bottom of my feature list.
>
> I think a possible solution would be the fact that I intend to offer
> customization of the queue container, which is a much more popular
> feature. Instead of calling push on it with the boost::function
> object, I could call push(event), so that you can provide a container
> not of function objects but of anything (like of a pointers to some
> base event type or void* if you prefer to cast a little, which I
> prefer not knowing of ;-) ).
> This allows complete removal of any heap usage AND could also be used
> to get rid of event copying (in this case though, you are taking
> responsibility of having thought of the event objects' lifetime). The
> downside is that providing a new container will require slightly more

Thanks for the example all make sense.
push with an event and a recall would be sufficient for us.
That we can integrate with our non copy event queues and event factories.

>>For deferred queues there is 2 ways to go.
>>First is to copy the event during bind or have a user implement a
>>queue which interacts whit the underlaying zero copy scheduler. and
>>only again store a ref/cref in a bind. maybe it is enough to have 2
>>callback to the user when an event is deferred and when it is recalled
>>and not needed any more.
>
> Fore the deferred queue, I can provide the same mechanism, so that you
> have have different containers for both if you wish.
> Using boost.parameter will make these extra template arguments more bearable.

It can be a different definition as the normal event queue and if it
is the same handling as normal event queue
than the user can put the same underlying implementation.