Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] A few submissions
From: Stefan Strasser (strasser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-05 03:17:36

Zitat von Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>:

>> I'm not too familiar with delay-loading, but why can't these platforms
>> be supported by hiding the TLS-access behind a function call so it
>> always originates from the same module?
>
> I'm not sure I understand how it helps. Could you elaborate?

I assumed an executable linked against boost.

>> in that case, I guess I am suggesting to add a public interface like
>> static_thread_specific_ptr, to support the semantics of
>> __declspec(thread)/__thread/thread_local, i.e. crash when used from
>> delay-loaded modules on platforms that don't support it.
>
> That is a different extension from what I am proposing. But frankly
> speaking, I don't see much use from it if it crashes on some setups
> and I can't detect such setups in my code that uses this component.

I could reply to this in terms of content, but this is easier: what
you're saying by that is that declspec(thread)/... make no sense on
platforms that don't support delay-loading with static TSS, and
was/will never be used.
that's obviously not the case.

right now boost offers a platform independent interface to
TlsAlloc/..., but not to declspec(thread)/...