Subject: Re: [boost] Maintenance suspended
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-07 16:12:36

> I tried, I really did, to resolve the trunk and release branches of my
> libraries for the upcoming release. But the truth is that I'm finding
> Boost's current interdependent structure and the sluggishness of SVN on a
> project of our size just makes everything too hard to do. I'm now just
> declaring openly what has effectively been true for the past couple of
> months: I'm not maintaining my libraries until I complete the transition
> to Git that goes along with using Ryppln (http://ryppl.org). I'm sorry, I
> know it's not good or right, but I know it's going to be for the best in
> the long run. That should all happen fairly quickly now, anyway.

Do you have somebody replacing you while in suspension?

I can't say agree with your decision, even while I feel your pain. We all
have to live with the current setup but nevertheless we can't and do not
just throw the towel.

It's a comparably minor exercise in patience to do the merge (btw, I just
spend 3 days merging Spirit to the release branch, so believe me, I know
what you're talking about). It's minor if compared to the effort which is
still required to make Ryppl a commonplace tool. And, it will take another
release cycle or two to have the move completed.

So, I would like to ask you to rethink this decision once more. If everybody
did as you plan to do, we would blow this release.

Regards Hartmut

Meet me at BoostCon
www.boostcon.com