Subject: Re: [boost] Maintenance suspended
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-07 20:37:44

On Jul 7, 2010, at 6:17 PM, Hartmut Kaiser wrote:

>> Looking at the release test matrix, I only see a few failures for python
>> and none for dave's other libraries. This suggests to me that issues in
>> these libraries are not urgent and could wait another three months or so
>> without hurting anything.
>
> But why suspend maintenance then?

Reason already given. I won't let this last much longer, but if I take the time to work on my libraries in the current structure I won't get Ryppl finished, and frankly, the current structure is unsustainable for me. My ability to keep the libraries healthy actually depends on getting out of this unsustainable cycle.

>> In fact this situation happens all the time in that a developer/maintainer
>> works in "spurts". It's nothing new that things won't make the
>> anticipated date.
>> What is new is an explicit announcement thereof - must of us prefer to lie
>> low in such circumstances.
>
> I definitely appreciate Dave's openness, even if I have the impression he's
> not entirely honest (mainly with himself, I guess).

I don't think we should step lightly into the territory of questioning one another's honesty.

I don't know what you imagine I'm lying to myself about. This announcement corrects what has become an integrity problem for me: many patches and feature requests for my libraries languish in Trac because the overhead of dealing with them has gotten to be too high, but until now I hadn't made any announcement of my intentions. IMO that is an unacceptable situation.

> But who am I to judge?

wasn't-going-to-mention-that-ly y'rs,

--
Dave Abrahams