Subject: Re: [boost] Maintenance suspended
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-09 07:48:52

On Jul 8, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Christophe Henry wrote:
> So, concretely, what is the problem? Do you have no time handling the
> feature requests or is svn the problem?

All of it. I've lost track of the differences between trunk and release. I have a pile of local changes that look like they were for something important, but need to be evaluated. SVN operations are slow for me. The presence of all the other libraries in the repo is a distraction. The inability to do anything to a single library in SVN because of the directory structure is maddening. All of these things are probably minor by themselves, but they add up.

> If it is just about merging and doing some mechanical svn-related
> tasks, this is a very workable solution and I gladly offer my help.
> If it is about feature requests, this is a more complicated one (but
> seemingly unrelated to svn) and you could also ask for support on this
> list. Surely, someone competent will step forward and free you from
> much work. You could simply review patches before commit. It would
> also help the community by having more than one person familiar with
> your libraries.

My libraries, other than Boost.Python, are formally collaborations. So in theory there should be other people to pick up the slack. However, some of my co-authors have not been very active recently.

--
David Abrahams
BoostPro Computing