Subject: [boost] Mentoring (Was: Maintenance suspended)
From: Christophe Henry (christophe.j.henry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-09 10:01:40

>>On Jul 8, 2010, at 8:39 PM, Joel de Guzman wrote:
>>
>> On 7/8/10 8:28 PM, Christophe Henry wrote:
>>
>>> PS:
>>> Thinking about it more, it would be a good idea if every boost author
>>> would mentor one or several "young" members who could take over when
>>> the author's situation changes. In any company, we usually try to
>>> avoid having only one person knowing a subject.
>>> Maybe a boostcon would be a good place where authors would explain the
>>> inside of their library?
>>
>> This is exactly what happened to Fusion and now happening to Phoenix
>> with the past and present GSOC projects.
>
>Hey, that's a great idea. To actually institute such a program requires someone to come up with "young"
>members who are ready and willing to be mentored. Christophe, would you like to take that project on?

It's the key point, to find interested and competent potential "young"
(or not ;-) ) members.
It seems to me pretty clear that the most motivated candidates are to
be found at the boostcon.
I will happily take that project on if my idea is viable, and it would be:
Authors (and I offer myself as testperson) prepare a talk or a paper
where they show the inside of their library, as detailed as possible.

- Participants get to learn some of the advanced techniques used in
boost libraries
- Boost gains an extended circle of possible contributors
- Authors prepare a succession if needed later, or the possibility of
having more people able to implement changes / fixes. They also get an
in-depth review by very clever guys (honestly, I am every year
impressed). Preparing others is especially important for people like
me who are developing a library alone.

Looks to me like a win/win scenario :)

This can be coupled with GSOC projects. After learning the inside of a
library, these participants could extend it.

Alternatively, we can organize this with participants of this list,
but it would require a greater deal of work for authors who would have
to write down a lot.

Some thoughts about it? Potential candidates (as speaker or attendee)?

Christophe