Subject: Re: [boost] Any interest in creating new CORBA IDL to C++ mapping?
From: Johnny Willemsen (jwillemsen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-12 13:59:54

Hi,

>> We are talking with various users of TAO to see if we can create a new
>> modern IDL to C++ mapping. The idea is to drop all old compilers which
>> lead to the current mapping and make a new IDL to C++ mapping that is
>> using the latest draft C++0x standard.
>>
>> We want to use full STL, shared_ptr, r-value, and everything else we
>> could need. The idea is to prototype this first in TAO and than see if
>> on the long term we can propose a new IDL to C++ V2 mapping to the OMG
>>
>> I did find some discussions on this list about 2 years ago, are people
>> interested in this effort, any input is welcome.
>>
> In a world of language specific Java's J2EE and .NET's WCF, I would
> welcome an overhaul to CORBA's C++ mapping. I think documentation will
> be key here. Not just the mapping but also CCM and TAO.

We agree, documentation is important, but it would save us a lot of
problems when we don't have to explain people the strange CORBA C++
mapping with its memory management rules. We do include CCM with the
same update, we are currently making large improvements to CIAO as CCM
implementation, but also 2 commercial modeling tool vendors will add
soon support for CCM and D&C modeling.

I am searching for people who can give us some guidance and feedback on
what we could do with all the new C++ features. Personally I have been
working with the current IDL to C++ mapping for almost 10 years now, I
just have been brainwashed this period, but are very interested in
creating a new IDL to C++ mapping and move my brain forward again ;-)

Johnny