Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Pointer Plus Bits Behavior and Interface
From: Brian Bartman (bbartmanboost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-15 11:12:41

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Andrew Sutton
<andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> > 2) Should the bits being stuffed apply during comparison?
> >

> Contrary to what I've just said, you could implement comparisons using the
> pointers alone and excluding the bits. I think this would be reasonable.
> Consider a comparison to nullptr (or (void*)0).

Would it be better to make the pointer_plus_bits convertible to a boolean
based on the value of the pointer being stored? This would allow it to be
more like to a pointer being that you could, as many people do, put it
inside of an if statement to check to see if its null.

--
thanks,
Brian Bartman