Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Pointer Plus Bits Behavior and Interface
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-15 13:57:43

Joaquin M Lopez Munoz wrote:
> David Abrahams <dave <at> boostpro.com> writes:

> > > I strongly disagree with using views in the design of
> > > this data structure.
> > > It's not such a complex concept that you would need to
> > > explicitly decouple
> > > its concerns via views. You end up designing a
> > > pointer+bits that can't be
> > > used natively as a pointer or bits.
> >
> > I agree with Andrew.
>
> I disagree with Dave and Andrew. There is no natural concept
> around "a pointer plus some bits". These are packed together
> to save space, which is an aspect completely orthogonal to
> whatever purspose the pointer and the bits serve (separately).

I agree almost completely.

> To me, pointer_plus_bits should be as similar as possible
> to having two members, one a pointer the other the bits, so
> that for instance the following
>
> class X
> {
> pointer ptr;
> bool b;
> };
>
> can be rewritten as
>
> class X
> {
> pointer_plus_bits<...> pb;
> };
>
> so as to save memory, with as little change from the original
> situation as possible (for instance, instead of x.ptr one would
> say x.pb.ptr() and so forth). Overelaborating on an
> concept+bits concept seems to me to be missing the point.

That's a nice analogy.

The alternative is to declare that pointer_plus_bits is just a pointer that happens to carry some bits, which was Andrew's emphasis. When used as a pointer, it works like any good smart pointer. When the payload is required, an accessor provides some alternative view. There's some legitimacy to that view, but I think it is largely misguided because, as you point out, a pointer_plus_bits is like a struct with both a pointer and a payload and favoring one member over the other is inappropriate.

Now, we could rethink the extrinsic view approach and instead provide two accessors that return a smart pointer and a payload object. That is, one calls a member function to get the equivalent of Joaquin's pb:

   x.pb.ptr->foo() vs x.pointer()->foo()
   x.pb.b vs x.bits()

BTW, I've been using the general term "payload" but named the member function "bits" because the class name is, currently, "pointer_plus_bits." It might be useful, especially in light of the recent consideration of permitting the treatment of the extra bits as a small integer value, to name the class "pointer_with_payload" or something like that. ("data" and "value" are shorter than "payload" so they're probably better choices.)

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]