Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44] Beta progress?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-19 17:48:20

David Abrahams wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2010, at 12:36 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> I have one that I'm working on right now.
>>
>> I made a mistake in release 1.42 and 1.43 which will mean that
>> archives created by these versions won't be readable by subsequent
>> versions
>> of the serialization library. I've had a lot of problem with this
>> but with the help of interested parties have been making progress.
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I don't see how anything could stop you from making them work with
> future versions of serialization unless somehow the archives weren't
> versioned. Weren't they?

Here the mistake I made.

I have a library version # in the header of every archive. In emitting
1.42 a some "minor" changes to suppress level 4 warnings. A number
of warning were of the nature of moving data between different size
types. So I used integer traits to specify types of the "right size"
and diminish/eliminate the warnings. All in all I felt that the effort was
worthwhile in the eliminated almost all the warnings and left those
visible which should be visible (very few). In the course of this
I fixed a couple of heretofore previously undetected or unencountered
bugs. So 1.42 was released and everyone was happy with it.

Until it was discovered that a few type changes had broken the
ability to read previous binary_?archives.

OK no problem - just wait until 1.43 comes out. EXCEPT
I had neglected to bump the library version # . Doh!!!.

THAT is the real problem.

I've got a solution to fix the problem, but it'll take a couple
of days to checking - test with those who have helped me
find it, update the docs, etc. There are couple of options

a) role back to 1.41
b) roll back to 1.43 - e.g. don't update.
c) hang on a couple of days

In contrast to other problems, this one will just keep
getting worse (more archives will need a "fix" applied)
as long as nothing is done. It's like a the oil spill.
So, I'm very interested in getting this in asap.

Robert Ramey