Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44] Beta progress?
From: Belcourt, Kenneth (kbelco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-21 15:35:15

On Jul 21, 2010, at 1:10 PM, Matthias Troyer wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2010, at 22:27, Eric Niebler wrote:

>>> I would rather wait for your final version of serialization in 1.44
>>> and get the newly reported regressions on the trunk resolved before
>>> merging something to the release branch that might break again when
>>> you move more changes to the release branch or roll some back. I
>>> will
>>> wait for the advice of the release manager.
>>
>> I may have missed something. What is left for Robert to merge to
>> release? Can someone pls summarize the current state of MPI and
>> serialization on release for me?
>
> The state of serialization has been mentioned by Robert a few days
> ago:
>
> On 19 Jul 2010, at 10:36, Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> I have one that I'm working on right now.
>>
>> I made a mistake in release 1.42 and 1.43 which will mean that
>> archives
>> created by these versions won't be readable by subsequent versions
>> of the serialization library. I've had a lot of problem with this
>> but
>> with the help of interested parties have been making progress.
>>
>> I don't know if it'll be ready by wednesday, but I'm just letting
>> you know.
>
> The state of Boost.MPI is that Boost.MPI is broken since Robert
> introduced some fundamental changes in the types used to store
> version, class, and object information. Those classes were
> completely redesigned and the redesign caused Boost.MPI to fail to
> compile on all platforms. On the trunk I have introduced some
> workarounds that seem to address the problem on most machines but
> not all. One issue is the newly removed default constructor of those
> types that causes compile time failures on Sun (and should actually
> cause problems on all compilers that strictly conform to the
> standard).
>
> In addition, Noel reported that the sandia tests fail, but it is
> hard for me to say anything about that since, apart from the Sun
> failures mentioned above, the other failures are runtime failures
> but I don't see what fails at runtime.

Sorry, I should clarify. The Sun tests are compile failures. The
other failures are likely caused by the tests running longer than the
default time limit (300 seconds). These failures tend to be
intermittent due to system load, file system responsiveness, etc...
and can be ignored for the most part. If I find any actual runtime
failures that aren't load dependent, i.e. issues with the MPI or
serialization libraries, I'll certainly point them out.

If Matthias or Robert can fix the Sun compilation issues, I'll be
quite content.

-- Noel