Subject: Re: [boost] New name of bjam.exe
From: Stephan Menzel (stephan.menzel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-22 07:03:28

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Vladimir Prus
<vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Thanks. However, I am not sure the association with 'make' is something we want,
> and 'boostb' and 'bbv2' are somewhat cryptic. I was thinking about just 'b2',
> but Rene does not like that much either. And 'bb' is more like sound a child
> might make ;-)

I beg to differ here.
The association with the name addresses the symptoms you criticised in
the original posting. There's plenty of very popular projects
following the same scheme. Cmake and qmake being certainly the most
prominent. So many people will immediately know what it is.

Besides, this effort only makes sense if the according project names
mentioned by you are adjusted as well. Myself, the difficulties I had
to find my way in that mess and to find out what Bjam and Boost.Build
and friends have in common and what not are the main reason I didn't
even include it into consideration when making the decision for a
platform independent build system. So the issue is very real.

Cheers,
Stephan