Subject: Re: [boost] boost.lockfree update
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-24 18:25:39

>>> 1. "Limitation: The fifo class is limited to PODs". I really would like
>>> to be able to use this with arbitrary objects. I'm sure PODs are
>>> required for good reason, but a rationale somewhere would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> it is a limitation of the michael/scott algorithm. if you want to pass
>> non- pods, you have to use heap-allocated pointers.
>
> It should be possible to automatically allocate non-pods from a freelist.

... one could introduce another indirection ...

> Might I suggest turning this library into a general concurrent data
> structures library? Lock-free is great, but sometimes it's either not
> available or is simply too slow outside of niche circumstances. I
> think a more general library that includes lock-free along with other
> less-than-lock-free algorithms would be more useful to the majority of
> developers.

the idea is not too bad, but frankly, i don't have the resources to develop
a library of general-purpose concurrent data structures. there are libraries
like tbb out there, that already provide many concurrent data structures ...
but not so many libraries for lock-free data structures, that can actually
be used in real-time systems

tim

--
tim_at_[hidden]