Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44] Beta progress?
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-25 13:53:04

> I'm focused on getting past this current problem. And
> I think that implementing this suggestion is the only
> practical way to do it. I realize that this is a pain
> but on the upside, it would make a huge improvement
> to the mpi_archive at quite a small investment of
> effort.

I don't see how we can rewrite the archive class at this late stage...

FYI: simply changing BOOST_ARCHIVE_STRONG_TYPEDEF to:

#define BOOST_ARCHIVE_STRONG_TYPEDEF(T, D) \
    class D : public T { \
    public: \
        explicit D(const T t) : T(t){} \
        D() : T() {} \
    }; \
/**/

is sufficient to get MPI compiling with sun's compiler on Linux (this is on
Trunk... I assume that both libraries have unmerged fixes awaiting for the
release branch... as that looks hopelessly broken at present?).

I still haven't been able to run MPI's regression tests though due to linker
invocation errors:

sun.link.dll
/home/john/bin/boost/bin.v2/libs/mpi/build/sun-12.1/debug/stdlib-sun-stlport/threading-multi/libboost_mpi.so.1.44.0
CC: Warning: Option -Wl,--export-dynamic passed to ld, if ld is invoked,
ignored otherwise
/home/john/SunStudio/sunstudio12.1/prod/lib/ld: unrecognized option
'-Wl,--export-dynamic'
/home/john/SunStudio/sunstudio12.1/prod/lib/ld: use the --help option for
usage information

But maybe this gives us a way forward for *this* release? Perhaps with the
proviso that Boost.Serialization is allowed to move forward and make
breaking changes to it's implementation for the next release?

Just my 2c worth... John.