Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44] Beta progress?
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-26 10:14:52

At Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:01:40 +0100,
Anthony Williams wrote:

> > Is pthread_cancel() still a no go to be used in threads::interrupt
> > implementation?
>
> pthread_cancel is no-go because it has different semantics and cannot be
> translated into an exception.

If you mean that its semantics are different because pthread_cancel is
intended to be an unstoppable, non-ignorable command, but someone can
always do a catch(...){}, I think that's silly (and I've made that
clear to the Posix people—I'm not just picking on you). Even in the
`C' world there's nothing to stop me from either a) disabling
cancellation or b) doing something in a cancellation handler that
never terminates (including re-trying whatever operation was
cancelled).

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing