Subject: Re: [boost] review request for boost.context
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-28 10:34:45

> > Hi, this seems a very usefull piece of code.
> > How does it behave under c++ exceptions?
> Exceptions must catched inside the function invoked by boost::context - if
> not sj/lj exception model is used (DWARF instead) -> see docu.
> With msvc, gcc/icc exceptions work (can be thrown and catched inside
> context).
>
> > What about windows 64 bit implementation, only 32 bit seems implemented
> ?
> unfortunately I've no 64bit Windows - at least I need a qcow2 image for
> qemu/kvm

On Windows I'd suggest to fall back to CreateFiber/SwitchToFiber/etc. These
functions are not kernel calls, but merely do the context
creation/switching. In my experience, it is almost impossible to convince
the MSVC C++ runtime libraries to behave properly if you use your own
context switching assembly code. OTOH, the measurements we performed shows
SwitchToContext being to almost as fast as the hand written assembly code we
were using in the beginning.

Regards Hartmut

Meet me at BoostCon
www.boostcon.com