Subject: Re: [boost] [offtopic] cygwin and wchar
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-05 12:18:00

>> Wide character support is currently detected by libstdcpp3.hpp.
>>
>> Is that detection not working?
>
> I guess not. The filesystem library failed to build on cygwin with
> wchar-ish errors until I installed gcc4.

I've just investigated this and:

* Boost.Config is defining the correct wide-character defect macros for both
gcc-3 and gcc-4 on cygwin.
* Boost.Filesystem either isn't making use of them at all (the v3 code) or
has outdated workarounds (v2).

I'm attaching a patch for the filesystem v2 code, but the v3 code Beman will
have to fix if this is to work on non-wide-character platforms.

BTW gcc 3 & 4 seem to co-exist quite happily on current cygwin, but as the
default is still gcc-3 I guess we should still try and support
non-wide-character platforms?

HTH, John.