Subject: Re: [boost] [GIL] color_convert
From: Christian Henning (chhenning_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-08 14:10:01

Hi Fabien,

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 6:15 AM, <fabien.castan_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
>> Only for rgba gil is using partial specialization since it's using the
>> rgb equivalent to do the wanted conversion. I think it's best to stick
>> with total specialization to avoid confusions and/or breaking other
>> people's code.
>>
>>> The goal of creating this generic conversion is that I can still make the conversion using an intermediate rgb colorspace if there is no specialization.
>> I think I just said that. ;-)
>
> For me, we can do that for all colorspaces.
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure to understand your position.
> You are agree to remove total specialization, even for rgba ?
> Are you agree to create a generic conversion from Colorspace to C2 for all colorspaces ?
> default_color_converter_impl<C1,rgba_t> // to remove
> default_color_converter_impl<rgba_t,C2> // do the same thing for all colorspace

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I think the current solution we
have in boost::gil is good enough. The code is very isolated ( that's
a good thing! ) in one file. Though, basically you could create your
own color_convert.hpp and everything should fall into place. Meaning
when using algorithms, etc. Changing the current code is probably not
a good idea since it might break existing code.

If you wanna create a better color convert extension, I would like to
help out. Especially when you wanna be more flexible to actual
implementations like for instance rgb_to_luminance_fn.

Regards,
Christian