Subject: Re: [boost] [exception] ostringstream like
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-15 14:56:08

At Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:26:30 -0700,
Emil Dotchevski wrote:

> > and may fail to allocate the needed memory
> > for the string and stream, thus maskign the initial
> > exception with some bad_alloc.
>
> This concern is not valid because the C++ standard permits the
> runtime code

Do you mean the runtime library?

> to run out of memory while trying to throw an
> exception, which presumably may result in a std::bad_alloc.

If not, I don't think that invalidates the concern at all. It's
application- dependent whether or not the originally-intended
exception is more important information than the knowledge that memory
was running short at the point of the throw.

If so, I wouldn't presume that it would throw bad_alloc in that case,
in real implementations. Usually this sort of thing falls under
"violating implementation limits" and invokes undefined behavior.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing