Subject: Re: [boost] boost internal compile problems after moving to 1.44 in VC10
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-18 14:31:43

I refer to this update as "rvalue references v2". When I wrote my blog post (after the VC10 CTP had been released, which was *very* early - this was before VC10 Beta 1), rrv2 hadn't been integrated into the C++0x Working Paper yet. However, it was on the horizon, and I mentioned it at the very end of the blog post. See "the future" section, where I linked to N2812, and explained that std::move() and std::forward()'s implementations would change. Fortunately, rrv2 was finalized in time for us to support it in VC10 Beta 2.

Writing a blog post about rrv2 is on my list of things to do, but I haven't gotten a chance to do it yet. (Despite appearances, I don't quite get to write blog posts all day.)

In std::move()'s implementation, a static_cast is necessary. Due to Dinkumware's conventions, we use C casts instead of C++ casts, but the effect is the same. (According to my understanding, they use C casts because some of the compilers that they support have trouble with C++ casts. VC doesn't have trouble with C++ casts, but we like to keep our implementation in sync with Dinkumware's master sources as much as possible. Amusingly, std::addressof() cannot be implemented properly with C casts, so we had to fix that bug by using C++ casts there, but that's the only special case that I'm aware of. If we followed my conventions, I'd use C++ casts everywhere, and I'd remove redundant parentheses in return statements. :->)

Stephan T. Lavavej
Visual C++ Libraries Developer