Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Boost.Process done
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-19 17:08:14

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 00:18:19 +0400, Ilya Sokolov wrote:

> Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. Boost.Process uses CreateProcessA so would fail to run any
>>> executable
>>> whose name or path contains a character not present in the user's current
>>> ANSI codepage.
>>
>> How about taking UTF-8 strings and converting them to whatever is best
>> for the operating system?
>
> +1

It's an option (one I like), but is inconsistent with the way other APIs
work on Windows and, for various reasons that Artyom can probably explain
better than I, is tricky to implement on Windows.

There was a thread a while back about getting Boost.Filesystem to treat
narrow paths this way. I don't entirely recall the outcome.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)