Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44][Serialization] fails to compile on OSX universal
From: David Irvine (david.irvine_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-21 10:40:05

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 20, 2010, at 9:09 PM, Emil Dotchevski <emil_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> One option is to "fix" them anyway. Unfortunately, a lot of times this
>> involves casting, and in general I find it ill-advised to use a cast
>> to suppress a warning. Think about it: casts are used to tell the
>> compiler to do something it wouldn't normally do because it is
>> dangerous. This is true for all casts, including the ones people
>> sprinkle around to "fix" warnings.
>
> True, but you can often avoid those casts by allowing (presumably safer) implicit conversions to do the same work,e.g. instead of static_cast<Base&>(derived), declare and initialize a named Base&.
I agree with this Dave and I think it makes a good point, rather than
pushing in casts to fix a warning, code in a manner that's intent is
clear to the compiler. This is a much better solution (I think, at
least in most circumstances) and would allow the removal of warnings
and give us back the ability to use the warnings for what they are
intended for (telling us the compiler is unsure of intent).

Clean compiled code does give a feeling of satisfaction and unity with
the intent IMHO.