Subject: Re: [boost] [1.44][Serialization] fails to compile on OSX universal
From: Emil Dotchevski (emil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-21 14:38:12

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> replace
>    int id;
>    if(id == original_id)
>
> with
>    special_type id(... ah think about this - this is a good thing);
>    if(id == original_id)

Yes, we have user-defined types in the language to define custom
behaviors in case the semantics of the built-in types are inadequate
or incomplete. But whether such a change is a good thing can not be
argued in the abstract, each case is different. I bet that sometimes
the feeling of satisfaction we get when we see no warnings at all at
the highest possible level gets in the way of our good judgment.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.