Subject: Re: [boost] Towards a Warning free code policy proposal
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-30 11:36:47

On 29 August 2010 01:23, Emil Dotchevski <emil_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Writing static_casts is annoying, but it is often necessary
>> if you want to remain -Wall -pedantic.
>
> This is a good illustration of one of the problems with "fixing"
> warnings: this is often done with casts, and casts are way more
> dangerous than the built-in implicit conversions for which the
> compiler is warning about.

Is it really worse? Here are the situations we are comparing:

1. Silencing the warnings so that users and library developers can't
look at them.
2. Generating hundreds to thousands of warnings so that users and
library developers don't look at them.

The only way to effectively use warnings to look for problems is to
have a zero warning policy.

--
 Nevin Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404