Subject: Re: [boost] Towards a Warning free code policy proposal
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-31 03:34:31

I think this is really, really unhelpful.

And I think there is enough opinions and evidence that getting rid of
warnings makes the code better.

So many, perhaps most, people (if not all) believe getting 'warnings free'
remains a good objective.

> Here's my suggestion:
>
> * We make no requirement on developers that they address warnings
We do this now.

> * We choose a warning level we're going to test at for each compiler
We do this now - but I'd like to see it at W all.

> * On our testing pages we publish the number of warnings for each test
along
> with the number of errors
We (someone) could do this, but it might be some work to get a warnings
count on all systems?
(We might more easily be able to get a count != 0).

(But I note that many warnings arise from libraries when they are used by
other libraries, for example Boost.Format and Fusion used by Boost.Math.
This makes warnings count much less useful) .

> * On our guidelines page we publish a list of safe ways to "avoid".
> various warnings (e.g. use implicit conversions) and perhaps less-safe
ways to
> "suppress" them (e.g. use a cast).

We already have quite a lot on this at
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines
(but more expert input/correction/improvement is very welcome. You can edit
it, or I will handle the editorial bit if that is easier).

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK