Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Boost.Process done
From: Boris Schaeling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-01 14:11:05

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 13:48:48 +0200, Ilya Sokolov <ilyasokol_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> [...]There is not much new in the concept of async_pipe. It is just a
> pipe
> which supports async I/O. The alternative is to know what limitations
> each target platform has and write something like this:
>
> #ifdef _WIN32
> ctx.stdout_behavior = bp::behavior::named_pipe::create(
> bp::behavior::pipe::output_stream);
> #else
> ctx.stdout_behavior = bp::behavior::pipe::create(
> bp::behavior::pipe::output_stream);
> #endif
>
>> Adding another type like async_pipe could be a compromise though?
>
> If using named pipes on Windows for sync I/O is not slower than using
> anonymous pipes, than there is no need for a separate type.

I think this is one question (where I don't know the answer to though). If
in doubt I'd prefer to use anonymous pipes to avoid potential overhead of
named pipes for synchronous I/O. It wouldn't be probably much anyway but
then this is C++. :-)

Another question is whether it's only us who can't imagine another use
case. Maybe a developer wants to access the named pipe (the name can be
returned through a parameter of the constructor and thus is available). I
haven't thought about it deeply but would be careful to be more
restrictive than we need to be.

Boris