Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Gwenio (urulokiurae_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-02 16:34:49

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Binglong Xie <binglongx_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> For example, when different platforms are considered, GUI is very complex
> and debatedly harder to abstract than process, thread, file system and
> others.

While such matters are beyond the scope of what I would like to accomplish
at this time, my general thoughts one how to build an abstract and flexible
GUI is based on the iostreams in the Standard Library.
components and can be extened or rewritten by inheritance (like
std::iostream).
- You have data objects that will consume user input to modify it, and
produce any output for the control (like stream buffers).
- You can imbue the component with an object that defines how it is drawn
(like std::locale, only it is more like a single facet that than an entire
locale).

Before going farther, I would like to have a working design for the ground
work needed for a GUI to be created.