Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-07 14:49:41

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:51:10 -0700, Sebastian Redl wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2010, at 5:40 AM, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

>>> Then *please*, explain how your library will differ from e.g. gtkmm?
>>>
>>> link: http://www.gtkmm.org/en/
>>
>> I hope that, for starters, the end-result would look nothing like that
>> produced by gtkmm. GTK-based GUIs on Windows just look 'wrong'.
>
> The visual appearance of programs has very little to do with library
> design. Qt programs look great IMO, but they don't use any native
> widgets even on Windows. They just have a very faithful native l&f. But
> you can style them differently even on Windows.

On Linux I would say that GTK and QT *are* the native widgets for their
respective desktop environments, Gnome and KDE. Widgets are native to a
desktop environment rather than an OS and it's only becuase Windows just
has one environment that people talk about native Windows widgets.

> So the question is perfectly valid. IMO it doesn't make any sense to
> design low-level components if you don't have a high-level design.

The problem is that these are two completely separate things. Any
high-level framework will be build on top of low-level widgets so at some
point these will need wrapping in a portable manner so at some point this
job has to be done anyway. Exposing these as a boost library in its own
right means we don't force users to use the high-level concepts if they
prefer not to or prefer to roll their own.

Alex

--
Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)