Subject: Re: [boost] Scalpel: a Spirit&Wave-powered C++ source code analysis library
From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-08 12:07:40

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Mathias Gaunard
<mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 08/09/2010 04:07, Gottlob Frege wrote:
>>>
>>> The right answer often depends on how you're using the parser. As a
>>> compiler, Clang stops parsing after a missing #include, because
>>> there's rarely any point in continuing the parse. When performing
>>> syntax highlighting or code completion, you want results even though
>>> the source is never actually going to compile.
>>>
>>>  - Doug
>>
>> I want my "compiler" "compiling" in the background of my IDE at all
>> times, as I type.  I want undefined identifiers (or thing that appear
>> to be indentifiers) to be colored red (or whatever) until I fix them
>> up.  etc.  As helpful as possible without being annoying (ie no
>> dialogs pop up or anything like that).
>>
>> Once my code will actually pass a compile, I want it to already have.  :-)
>
> That approach doesn't work when you're cross-compiling, and using headers
> only available on the target platform.

It works perfectly fine. Your compiler/IDE just needs to know the
target (including where those headers reside), but it has to know that
anyway to produce code.

There would be a slight issue with GCC, because a given GCC executable
only targets a single architecture, and multiple instances of GCC
can't coexist in an executable. I don't know how common that
limitation is, but Clang (for example) allows dynamic selection of the
target architecture and allows multiple instances.

 - Doug