Subject: Re: [boost] Scalpel: a Spirit&Wave-powered C++ source code analysis library
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-08 12:33:35

  On 09/08/2010 12:27 PM, Doug Gregor wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Felipe Magno de Almeida
> <felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> A spirit&wave implementation of the C++ grammar is useful in its own
>> right.
> I agree in the abstract, but how good must such a parser be for it to
> be useful?

> My conclusion, then, is "no": Boost would not accept a C++ parser
> library that cannot parse Boost itself. That's the acceptance
> criteria, far more than any other technical concern.

On a meta-level: I see the same questions popping up again and again on
this list. It apparently is considered way cool if the entire world
could be recreated using boost components.

While certainly fun and useful for educational purposes, I'm not
convinced of the practicality of such a task. Not to speak of all the
concerns that only become relevant after the library has been written
and accepted, such as keeping (evil tongues would say making) boost
maintainable, with such an ever growing set of components.

     Stefan