Subject: Re: [boost] What about a Spirit-powered C++ syntax analysis library in Boost?
From: Matus Chochlik (chochlik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-08 12:47:26

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Florian Goujeon
<florian.goujeon_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Hi,

> I've written a C++ syntax analysis library using Boost.Spirit.
> (This 'library' is actually a subset of the Scalpel library. I talked
> about it in the Boost mailing list here:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/208217 )
> For the sake of brevity, let's call it Salsa (for Stand-ALone Syntax
> Analysis).
[snip]

I've been looking for a lightweight and portable solution
for automatic registering of things with a reflection library
I'm working on (http://bit.ly/bn7iYM).

I've already looked at tools like gcc, clang, doxygen + xslt,
etc. but most of them have too many dependencies or are
too heavyweight and clumsy for this task.
I've had time only to briefly 'scroll through' the docs
for Scalpel but it seems like the thing I've been looking for
and I'm planning to explore the possibility to use it.

But since the registering concerns mostly things like class
declarations, which *usually* don't need preprocessing,
the Salsa library might be even better.

> I'd like to know: is there a reasonable chance that such a library
> will be accepted into Boost?

In my opinion it would be a great addition to Boost and
useful in many other situations besides the one that
I mentioned above.

BR

Matus