Subject: [boost] Status of FSM viewer
From: Andreas Huber (ahd6974-spamboostorgtrap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-09 02:59:08

Hi Michal

> we are looking for a solution to visualize FSMs in our
> robotic
> applications. Before starting the development of our own
> tool I'd like
> to ask whether there exists something able to visualize
> Boost.Statecharts FSMs.

No, as far as I know.

> I was only able to find the
> following GSOC
> project:
[snip links]
> but in my quick tests it produced only empty figures. I
> believe that
> after some debugging I could make it work.

Personally I wouldn't bother. IIRC, the project depends on GCC_XML, the latest release of which is still 0.6, from 2004. There is activity in source control but I'm not sure it has anything to do with the tool.

> My question is whether the development of this tool
> continues or whether
> there are some other tools. In case of negative answers, do
> you have any
> suggestions for the development of the new tool? Currently,
> we consider
> the development of a GCC plugin which will generate dot
> (graphviz)
> source.

I don't know anything about GCC plugins, but I guess that is certainly an option. Personally, I'd also check out clang, which presumably can provide you with a much more C++-like representation of the parsed source code.

HTH,

--
Andreas Huber
When replying by private email, please remove the words spam and trap from the address shown in the header.