Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Boost.Process done
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-10 07:26:06

Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:

> - The std::istream/std::ostream interface should be
> decoupled from the facility for retrieving the file descriptor
> (int) or Windows HANDLE, to avoid the overhead of allocating a
> streambuf for those users that wish to access the file
> descriptor/HANDLE directly or use it with asio.
> Instead, the std::istream/std::ostream interface to a file
> descriptor/HANDLE could be provided as a separate, completely
> independent facility (designed so that exactly the same syntax
> could be used on both Windows and POSIX), and likewise a
> separate facility for providing an asio interface to a file
> descriptor/HANDLE (which also allows exactly the same syntax to
> be used on POSIX and Windows).

+1

That would be useful in many contexts.

> - As was observed in the discussion regarding setting up
> stdin/stdout/stderr file descriptors on POSIX, it is
> somewhat tricky to correctly set up child file descriptors.
> As I believe it is fairly common on POSIX to want to set up
> child file descriptors other than 0, 1, and 2, it would be
> best for the library to provide explicit support for this,
> rather than forcing the user to implement it manually in
> context::setup. A reasonable interface might be e.g.:
> context::map_file_descriptor(int child_fileno, file_descriptor_t existing_descriptor);
>
> Potentially this same interface could be used on Windows, with
> child_fileno only valid in the range 0 to 2 (and with
> appropriate constants defined), and could thus serve as the
> lowest level interface on top of which other behaviors like
> pipe, redirect, etc. could be implemented.

The problem with the suggested approach is that Windows winds up
with runtime errors if the child_fileno argument exceeds the
range. It would be better to make that a compile time error.
The only way to do that is to use a template with the fileno
being a template argument. Whether that takes the form of a
fileno class template or the fileno is a template argument for
map_file_descriptor (which must then be a member function
template), is another matter.

> - I think it would be cleaner for the POSIX and Windows
> extension interfaces to be in the form of a callback function
> (templated or boost::function), rather than a subclass of
> context that overrides the setup function.

Why do you make that assertion? What becomes cleaner?

> - It seems that natively on Windows, unlike on POSIX, there is
> no notion of an array of command line arguments --- there is
> just a single string command line. It seems it would be useful
> for Boost Process to allow a single string command line to be
> specified directly, in addition to the existing array
> (Container) interface which presumably does some sort of
> encoding into a single string on Windows. Perhaps create_child
> can simply distinguish (at compile-time) between being passed a
> range of char and being passed a range of range of char.

A general facility for converting between the two representations
would be most helpful. For example, one may wish to report the
command line, so accessing it as a single string is useful on
POSIX and Windows systems. Likewise, one may wish to process the
arguments one at a time, as with argc/argv, even on Windows.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]