Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.SQL?
From: Dominique Devienne (ddevienne_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-14 11:26:05

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> dealing with communicating with the SQL server? I have used two methods
>> before. First is how a web server does it by sending SQL commands to a IP
>> address / hostname for the database server. Second is using the database
>> server's API and linking against a library. Obviously the first is more portable.
>
> I am not sure about this yet. As of now, the project is not much more than a
> prototype (although we have started to migrate code already). Currently I am
> using libpqxx (a C++ wrapper for libpq) which connects via TCP.

I don't think you'll be able to do that with Oracle. Oracle's wire
protocol is proprietary, and it can use different kinds of network
transport. You *have* to use Oracle OCI on the client side, AFAIK.
(Jonah Harris has kind of reversed engineered that protocol I think,
but I don't think you want to get into that).

> It might be a good idea to create a second library which provides a unified
> communication interface for a variety of vendors and and use that as basis
> for the stuff I am currently working on.

Good luck with that ;) --DD