Subject: Re: [boost] Boost container similar to Judy arrays?
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-14 12:53:42

Christopher Jefferson wrote:
> On 7 Oct 2009, at 14:36, Achilleas Margaritis wrote:
>
> > Does boost have a container with similar properties to Judy
> > arrays? I searched the documentation but I did not find
> > anything similar.

I know of nothing like it in Boost.

> > Here is the Judy arrays home page:
> >
> > http://judy.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
> It is hard to find from a quick read. How is a Judy array
> different to using a std::map, with int as the indexing type?

http://judy.sourceforge.net/doc/10minutes.htm is a better link to follow.

According to that page:

"Some of the reasons Judy outperforms binary trees, b-trees, and skip-lists:

    * Judy rarely compromises speed/space performance for simplicity (Judy will never be called simple except at the API).
    * Judy is designed to avoid cache-line fills wherever possible. (This is the main design criteria for Judy.)
    * A b-tree requires a search of each node (branch), resulting in more cache-line fills.
    * A binary-tree has many more levels (about 8X), resulting in more cache-line fills.
    * A skip-list is roughly equivalent to a degree-4 (4-ary) tree, resulting in more cache-line fills.
    * An "expanse"-based digital tree (of which Judy is a variation) never needs balancing as it grows.
    * A portion (8 bits) of the key is used to subdivide an expanse into sub-trees. Only the remainder of the key need exist in the sub-trees, if at all, resulting in key compression."

The API is simple; the complexity, which sounds substantial, hides behind it. The data structure is highly adaptive to the data stored within it just based upon its design, or so it sounds.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]