Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.SQL?
From: Daniel Pfeifer (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-15 11:57:59

Hi,

> I notice that most of this thread is going in the direction of trying
> to replicate SQL syntax instead of doing something closer to normal
> logic.

Hence the name SQL.
>From boost::sql i would expect ecactly that: A library that lets me use
SQL in a portable way.

> I'd be much happier to use a syntax that just specifies "what
> I want" rather than "how to get there." In some cases the library
> could be responsible for conjuring up JOINs, for example, when that's
> the most efficient approach.

Such a library would hide SQL as an implementation detail. It could
provide SQL-less backends just as well. In that case SQL wouldn't be an
appropriate name, Let's call it RDB instead.

An RDB library surely would make a lot of us happier than an SQL
library. But this doesn't render an SQL library useless. I fact, it
surely would be of use for the RDB library.

Cheers, Daniel