Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in B-tree library for Boost?
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-15 12:39:27

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:04:08 -0400
Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> A Boost B-tree library would provide disk-based associative containers
> that scale all the way from really, really, small to really, really,
> large. B-trees perform well on hardware ranging from ancient floppy
> disk drives all the way up to humongous disk arrays. They are the
> technology behind most high-performance disk file systems and
> databases. [...] Any interest?

Definitely. I've written one before, for one project, but I utterly
*detest* that code. I did it to learn how databases were put together,
but it took me forever to get all the bugs out, so I'm not keen to
rewrite it properly now that I know what I'm doing.

I've got another project coming up that will demand the same ability.
I've been looking into the Tokyo Cabinet database as an alternative to
that horrible B-tree code, but I don't think it's portable to non-*NIX
operating systems, and the project needs that.

A Boost implementation would be very welcome. I'll take a look at your
preview code when I have some time, though it might be a couple weeks
from now.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.