Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in B-tree library for Boost?
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-15 14:19:37

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:44:42 -0700
"Simonson, Lucanus J" <lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...] Now that we have broken free of the 32bit addressable limit for
> commodity hardware there is less need for self paging data structures
> than there was a few years ago. Unless there is a way to configure it
> that gives a performance advantage over std::map we might have to wait
> until 64 bits (or 48 as the case may be) becomes too confining. [...]

Not necessarily. There's quite a lot of need for an automatically
*persistent* data structure like this -- i.e. one that survives between
different runs of a program -- right now. Full-blown databases are
overkill for many more-modest purposes, especially SQL databases.

I realize that this could be done with serialization and such, and that
would make sense if you needed to use the data on different
architectures or operating systems. But if you just need to store, for
example, the unfinished results of a long calculation while the user
shuts down the program, and pick them up when the program is resumed,
this would be ideal.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.