Subject: Re: [boost] [Regex] Building Boost.Regex with ICU
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-20 07:20:11

> I'm trying to build some basic Boost.Locale Jam file on base of
> Boost.Regex one,
> however... I can't even build Boost.Regex with ICU at all.
>
> Version 1.43
> ------------
>
> Debian, ICU 3.8 installed in regular place /usr/lib/libicu*.so
>
> Build:
>
> bjam -d+2 -sHAVE_ICU=1 stage
>

> Shows that the build is done with ICU (i.e. -DBOOST_HAS_ICU=1 in command
> line of
> gcc)
>
> However when afterward I check
>
> ldd stage/lib/libboost_regex.so
>
> It shows no evidence of linking with ICU.

Does the linker command show that it's being linked to ICU?

Come to that if the compiler command line has BOOST_HAS_ICU set, then you
*will* get compiler errors if it's not being built against ICU.

Stupid question, but are you sure that you're looking at the correct
binaries?

> Version 1.44
> ------------
>
> Build:
>
> bjam -d+2 -sHAVE_ICU=1 stage

-sHAVE_ICU has no effect in 1.44 - it should detect and configure it
automatically.

When you build there should be a message something like:

Performing configuration checks

    - has_icu builds : no

And if you see a "no" here then look in bin.v2/config.log to see the actual
error messages that caused the configure check to fail.

HTH, John.