Subject: Re: [boost] [Regex] Building Boost.Regex with ICU
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-21 04:17:50

>> > We should probably create a separate ICU module
>> > for Boost.Build if it's going to be used by more than
>> > one library.
>>
>> How about making a configure check for ICU be libs/config//icu ?
>>
>> - Volodya
>

> Or maybe just document or implement a functionality that allows
> to check existence and likability of generic library
> and generic header? (as I for example need iconv as well)
>
> Once time pass more and more Boost libraries would actually use
> 3rd part components as reinventing the wheel sometimes quite hard.

I did actually make a start at boiler plating all this so it works more like
autoconf - take a look at the attached example - the thing to look at is the
zlib example right at the end of the Jamfile - the rest of the Jamfile is
the actual boilerplate plus some tests. Unfortunately there are still a few
warts in the code but it should give you the general idea.

Even so, if several folks are testing for the same thing, it still makes
sense to centralize the tests.

Cheers, John.